We are seeking to add a highly-motivated mid-to-senior level licensed Professional Engineer to our team of multi-disciplinary licensed engineers. The individual will have knowledge in the behavior of structural systems and their components for use in forensic engineering relating to residential, commercial, and industrial roofing systems. Experience in performing failure cause & origin analysis on both low-slope and steep-slope roofing systems are required.
Responsibilities and Duties include:
- Field work to document as-built conditions and damage to roofing systems as a result of natural (wind, water, hail, fire, earth movement, etc.) and/or human induced origins (design and construction errors/omissions). Natural events can include large catastrophes such as regional floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, fires and earthquakes.
- Utilize building codes, technical knowledge of roof system behavior, and understanding of construction practices to establish repair scope recommendations as well as cause and origin analyses.
- Evaluate design drawings and documentation related to roofing systems.
- Communicate with clients, interface with code officials and contractors and provide detailed reports.
- Ability to develop roof repair/replacement cost estimates, desirable.
- Manage multiple project assignments, executing them on time and within budget.
- Retention and development of client relationships.
- Willing to travel, as needed, on short notice at times.
Education and Experience requirements:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering or Architectural Engineering from an ABET accredited program required.
- Minimum 10 Years Professional Engineering experience in roofing design or other background that promotes an understanding of roof system behavior.
- Illinois Licensed Professional Engineer through NCEES examination. Multiple state registrations (or ability to obtain) a plus.
- Experience in property loss and construction defects required.
- Knowledge of national building and construction codes (ICC, ASCE, AISC, ACI, NDS, etc.)
- Familiarity with various building roofing systems, both low-slope and steep-slope.
- Understanding of heat, air and moisture control principles within enclosure materials and assemblies.
- Familiarity with performance and testing requirements, details and specifications for building enclosures.
- Familiarity with facade components and assemblies, particularly at their interfaces.
- Knowledge and experience of engineering concepts, principles and practices.
- Knowledge of multiple types of construction, a plus.
- Field experience. Must be able to physically carry and climb ladders for roof access, as well as navigate steep-slope roofing up to 6:12.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Registered Roof Observer (RRO) and Registered Roof Consultant (RRC) designations are a plus.
- Experience in providing Litigation Support including Expert Testimony at Depositions and/or Trial, Mediation and Arbitration proceedings, desirable.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States and have a good driving record