We are seeking to add a highly-motivated mid-to-senior level Roof Consultant to our multi-disciplinary consulting team. The individual will perform field observations, roof assessments, cause of damage determinations, non-destructive testing and materials investigation relating to residential, commercial, institutional and industrial facilities. Experience in performing failure cause & origin analysis on roofing systems, authoring technical reports, and construction litigation is desired.
Responsibilities and Duties include:
- Fieldwork to document as-built conditions and damage to roofing systems and components as a result of natural (wind, water, fire, earth movement, etc.) and/or human-induced origins (design and construction errors/omissions). Natural events can include catastrophes such as hurricanes, tornadoes, fires and earthquakes.
- Ability to investigate roof failures and identify causation.
- Diagnose roofing system and assembly conditions and develop scopes of repair.
- Ability to develop roof repair/replacement cost estimates, desirable.
- Communicate with clients, interface with code officials and contractors to address construction issues and provide detailed reports.
- Manage multiple project assignments, executing them on time and within budget.
- Retention and development of client relationships.
- Willing to travel, as needed, on short notice.
Education and Experience requirements:
- 10 years plus of experience in roofing for new and existing structures including investigation, design, testing and/or installation.
- Understanding of building systems with various roofing systems for commercial, industrial, single- and multi-family, high-rise buildings and structures.
- Understanding of roofing details including but not limited to, flashing, interfaces with adjacent building systems, and roofing systems.
- Experience with low-slope roofs including built-up roofing systems (BUR), metal panel roofing systems, polymer-modified bitumen sheet membranes, thermoplastic and thermoset single-ply membranes, and spray polyurethane foam-based roof systems.
- Experience with steep-slope roofs including asphalt shingles, clay and concrete tile, metal panel and tile roofing systems, slate, wood shakes and shingles, and synthetic roofs.
- Experience in roof testing including infrared, nuclear, and electrical capacitance surveys; ASTM procedures; and gravimetric analysis, desirable.
- Experience with utilizing third-party laboratories for analysis of roof samples for roofing system and assembly failure determination, desirable.
- Membership with IIBEC (formerly RCI, Inc.) a plus along with achievement of Registered Roof Consultant (RRC) or Registered Roof Observer (RRO) credentials preferred.
- Knowledge of local and national building codes and design practices for roofing systems.
- Knowledge of standard construction practices.
- Field experience. Must be able to physically carry and climb ladders for roof access, as well as navigate steep-slope roofing up to 6:12.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Experience in property loss or construction defects, required.
- Experience in providing litigation support including expert testimony at depositions and/or trial, mediation or arbitration proceedings, a plus.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States and have a good driving record